Losing weight can be difficult, and maintaining weight loss can be an even bigger challenge. Top endocrinologist Dr Barbara McGowan gives her expert advice – here are her ten top tips for weight management:
- Eat regular meals.
- Don’t skip breakfast.
- Reduce portion sizes and eat from slightly smaller plates.
- Have a balanced diet without cutting any particular food group. However, you should ensure that there is quite a high amount of protein in the diet.
- Improve your sleep patterns. Have a really good sleep habitus and ensure that you get ideally eight hours a night, but at least seven hours of sleep a night. We know that poor quality sleep is associated with metabolic abnormalities.
- Increase exercise. This doesn't necessarily mean having to go to the gym, but to just trying to walk more or use the stairs more.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Decrease alcoholic intake.
- Do not ban any particular food in your diet because you know that otherwise, you’ll just be craving for it.
- Seek advice from a health care professional, whether it’s your GP or your local dietician, as they may be able to signpost you to the right help; to guide you through your journey and help you to achieve weight loss.
If you are overweight or suffering from obesity, and you want to know how to lose weight, there are several options aside from the weight loss tips given here. These include pharmacotherapy, endoscopic options, such as a gastric balloon, and bariatric surgery, such as a gastric band. You can consult your GP or an endocrinologist for more advice on the best option for you. There is always help available for those trying to improve their health, and you should never be afraid to ask for it.