Varicose veins are raised, swollen blood vessels that twist and turn, whilst spider veins are smaller, red, purple and also easily visible through the skin. The therapy system Neodymium-YAG (Nd:YAG) laser is the technique used to treat those veins most commonly found on the legs and face.
Why use Nd:YAG laster treatment for varicose and spider veins?
Laser is an amplified light that is sent from an energy source and is concentrated at a very specific point thanks to its ability to travel directly and concentrate on a very narrow spectral range. Its applications have evolved and been perfected over the years so that lasers are now widely used for vascular, dermatological and ophthalmological conditions. The Nd:YAG laser is specific for superficial varices since it is able to concentrate on the veins without interfering with the surrounding tissue.
Advantages of treating varicose veins and spider veins with Nd:YAG laser treatment:
• It is the only form of treatment for spider veins that aesthetically affect patients, since it acts from the surface directly on them.
• It is the modern aesthetic alternative to sclerosing treatment that has been the traditional treatment for unsightly veins and it is fast, comfortable, painless, safe and effective.
• It enables the treatment of many spider veins in very few sessions, since they are treated externally (transcutaneous) and not by direct injections into the veins.
• It is completely aesthetic because it does not cause hyperpigmentation or leave scars.
• In most cases, the patient may see the disappearance of the veins during treatment.
• Can be used in the summer months because sun protection can be applied on the treated area.
Varicose veins and spider veins treatment procedure with Nd:YAG laser
The technique is to follow the line of the veins with the beam of light with a pen-shaped applicator and as doing so the vein disappears. Thus, one after another, surface veins are erased regardless of their quantity and location. In general, about three sessions is usually sufficient for standard treatment.
However, the treatments are according to the individual and, depending on the size, the quantity and the age of the veins to be treated, a few more sessions may be needed to achieve a perfect result.