Short scar breast augmentation is a surgical procedure made possible by cosmetic surgeons for patients who do not want to have prominent scars after breast surgery. This is achieved using the Keller Funnel process, a non-touch technique of breast implant insertion. Read on to find more.
How does breast augmentation using Keller Funnel work?
The plastic surgeon will mark areas where the incision is to be made and make sure it only leaves short and less noticeable scars. The incision is 3 cm in length and is completely hidden under the breast. An incision is then made behind each breast to create a pocket, which creates space for the implants to be inserted within the breast tissues.
When the implants are ready, the funnel is held open and the breast implant is tipped inside. The tip of the funnel is placed inside the breast pocket and the surgeon squeezes the funnel to push the implant in. After the implants are in place, the surgeon uses buried subcuticular sutures to leave the thinnest scar possible. The funnel very much works like a cake icing bag.
What are the benefits of short scar breast augmentation?
The Keller Funnel improves the delivery of silicone gel implants during the reconstruction procedure. The main benefits include:
- Shorter incision lengths
- Non-touch technique - reduces chance of any infections and contamination
- More choices for incision placement and with reduced force
- Reduced risk of capsular contracture (a complication where tissue forms a capsule around the implant, which makes it harden or misshapen) due to less chance of a biofilm developing over the implant
- The procedure takes one hour with a smaller scar, which means the recovery time is shorter
Results of short scar breast augmentation
- Breasts look and feel more firm
- Breasts look more uplifted
- The areola size will be smaller and will improve its position
- Scars are less visible after healing due to the smaller incisions
Nowadays, a patient can have the aesthetic advantage of silicone gel implants, combined with a gentler surgical method.
Interested in a short scar breast augmentation? Arrange a consultation with an expert Top Doctors plastic surgeon here.