Why am I bleeding after intercourse?

Written by: Mr Ashfaq Khan
Published: | Updated: 21/04/2020
Edited by: Cameron Gibson-Watt

The medical name for vaginal bleeding after sex is post-coital bleeding and there are many reasons why it can occur. Any woman of any age can experience it and, in fact, it’s quite a common occurrence. It is believed that most women will experience vaginal bleeding or spotting either during or after sex at least once in their life.


Mr Ashfaq Khan is a leading gynaecologist and obstetrician based in London, who has over 20 years of experience in dealing with this vaginal condition. He describes the more common and rarer causes of vaginal bleeding and when might be a good idea to see a specialist about it.



Is it normal to bleed after sex?

No. It is very important to consult a doctor if you notice bleeding either during and after sexual intercourse. However, a single episode of bleeding following intercourse before menopause may not be serious but should be carefully observed.


If you have already passed through menopause, then bleeding necessitates a visit to the doctor.


Why do I bleed after sex?

There are various reasons why you may bleed after sex. Most of the time, it is can be caused by one of the following:


  • trauma, such as tears in the vagina caused by dryness or too much friction
  • inflammation, which might be present due to cervical ectropion in which there is an inflamed area of the cervix
  • an infection, such as pelvic inflammatory disease or an STI
  • polyps, these are non-cancerous growths either in the womb or lining of the cervix


More suspicious causes could be pre-cancer or cancer of the cervix, vagina, or endometrium (lining of the womb). Rarely, auto-immune diseases like lichen sclerosis, Lichen Planus and psoriasis can cause such bleeding.


I’m bleeding after sex but it’s not painful: should I see a doctor?

Pain is not usually accompanied with post-coital bleeding. Most of the time, bleeding after intercourse without pain is more related to some pathology. It is important not to ignore bleeding after sex.


I’m bleeding after sex and it is painful: should I see a doctor?

Yes. Mainly for two reasons:


Firstly, if the bleeding is trauma-related than you may need to either repair the trauma or get treatment for it. Otherwise, the bleeding is very likely to continue.


Secondly, this condition can lead to dyspareunia (painful sex) and chronic pain which can significantly affect your sexual life.


I’m bleeding after sex and I’m pregnant: what does it mean?

It is not unusual to experience vaginal bleeding during pregnancy, but for many couples, it can cause significant distress. Though the risk of miscarriage or premature labour is not so common, it is strongly advised to see a doctor to exclude those causes.


Most of the time the source of bleeding is the cervix or vagina rather than from inside the womb. It is better to see a colposcopist (gynaecologist with colposcopy experience) who is more experienced to assess the cervix and vagina.


When should you see your gynaecologist about vaginal bleeding?

It is especially important to see a gynaecologist if there is any bleeding after menopause (over 50 years of age), during pregnancy or in anyone who has had a previous abnormal cervical smear result. Otherwise, if the bleeding is sporadic and minimal then you can wait for a couple of months to see if it clears up on its own.


That being said, it is always better to see a gynaecologist who is in a much better position to assess the condition and provide appropriate management.


If you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned in this article, do not hesitate to contact Mr Khan by visiting his Top Doctors profile and booking a consultation.

Mr Ashfaq Khan

By Mr Ashfaq Khan
Obstetrics & gynaecology

Mr Ashfaq Khan is one of the leading gynaecologists and obstetricians in London, working more than 20 years in his field. He is the head of the Lower Genital Tract Disease Unit at Whittington Hospital, one of the biggest colposcopy and vulval disease centres in the UK. His special interests include personalised risk-based assessment of HPV-related diseases, PCOS, vulval disease (lichens and pre-cancer) and period related problems. He is a senior lecturer at UCL medical School and an internationally renowned speaker on HPV and colposcopy.

Mr Khan is also course director for the post-graduate course of the British Colposcopy Society (BSCCP), and Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and is also the trainer and examiner for the British Colposcopy Society. He has co-authored a colposcopy text book with Professor Albert Singer and received the prestigious Ranzo Barraso Award (Founder's award) from the European Federation of Colposcopy.

This website uses our own and third-party Cookies to compile information with the aim of improving our services, to show you advertising related to your preferences as well analysing your browsing habits. You can change your settings HERE.