Top Doctors recently spoke to Dr Bashar Bizrah, a leading London-based ENT specialist, to quiz him in relation to what exactly ethnic rhinoplasties are and what is typically involved in the nose-adjusting procedure.
What exactly are ethnic rhinoplasties?
An ethnic rhinoplasty aims to modify the nasal ethnicity of preferably a non-Caucasian individual who usually has settled in western countries to adapt their nasal structure to blend better with their surroundings.
African, Asian, Hispanic, Indian, Korean, Chinese, Arabic & Persian are settled in western countries and form an integral part of their ethnic community. An ethnic rhinoplasty, though unique on its own, follows the same pattern as a generic rhinoplasty procedure. It is divided into a few subcategories based on the possible structural change to the patient's nose. The size, shape, bone structure, and cartilage are modified, restructured, and repositioned in the procedure to satisfy the patient's aesthetic appearance.
What's involved in the ethnic rhinoplasty procedure?
Our aim in ethnic rhinoplasty is to enhance the beauty of each person without losing the person's ethnicity. The main components of ethnic rhinoplasty are augmentation and reduction.
It involves removing the cartilage and bones for the nasal portion to obtain a straighter, more balanced nose.
An ethnic rhinoplasty procedure typically involves one of the following:
- Augmenting the dorsum with the rib graft or and strong thick fascia
- Obtaining more tip projection and elevation to blend nicely with the already augmented dorsum
- Reducing the nasal hump
- Correction of the droopy tip to get more tip projection and rotation
How long does it take for an ethnic rhinoplasty to heal?
The rhinoplasty healing process is very slow and may take up to two years. You may resume your work after seven to 10 days after surgery. The procedure usually is a same-day procedure and the patient will have a cast on the nose for up to between eight and 10 days. The bruises under the eyes generally disappear between after a period of between five to 10 days.
There are usually no bruises in any procedure (African, South-East Asian) at all. Up to 80 per cent of the swelling will subside in the first six weeks, while the remaining 20 per cent may take up to two years to fade away.
How much do ethnic rhinoplasties cost?
The cost of an ethnic rhinoplasty procedure in London varies between £9,000 and £14,000 depending on the procedure and the need for a rib graft. This cost involves consultation, open investigations, and a one-year post-surgery follow up.
Dr Bashar Bizrah is a leading ENT specialist who can help you decide if an ethnic rhinoplasty procedure is suitable for you. Contact him to book a consultation today via his Top Doctors profile.