What are smell disorders?
Smell disorders, also known as olfactory disorders, are those that result in an increase, decrease, absence or change in our sense of smell. Common smell disorders include:
- Anosmia (absence of the sense of smell)
- Hyposmia (enhanced sense of smell)
- Congenital anosmia (when someone is born without a sense of smell)
- Parosmia (when sense of smell is distorted)
- Phantosmia (when someone detects an odour that is not actually present)
Smell disorders may be temporary or permanent and can come on suddenly or gradually.